Yes its that time of year again, the weather is getting cooler, the days are getting shorter, and we tend to get sick more often around this time of year. Don’t worry I’m here to tell you there are ways to help boost your immune system naturally.
- Vitamin D is great way to boost your immune system naturally. Vitamin D is known to decrease inflammation and induce anti microbial production in the body. The best form of vitamin D is from direct sunlight on your bare skin. When the sun rays are absorbed with the cholesterol on your skin it allows for synthesis of vitamin D to occur. Unfortunately around the colder and darker months we tend to be deficient in vitamin D, and thus become more sick. Eating more fatty fish like salmon and Supplementing with a good cod liver oil or Vitamin D supplement will support your immune system.
- Rest, Rest Rest. I cant say it enough. Our bodies are constantly working in making sure we maintain homeostasis. We currently live in a very fast paced civilization, where we live off caffeine and are sleep deprived. Sleep is a restorative process, a crucial time for our immune cells to regenerate themselves so that our body’s defense system can work efficiently. Listen to your body when you are tired get some rest, your body knows whats best.
- Deep breathing is very important. Today’s society are normally shallow breathers, allowing carbon dioxide to build up in the lungs. When we practice deep breathing techniques we allow massive amounts of oxygen into the body and we expel the excess carbon dioxide. When you incorporate deep breathing we are expelling toxins from the body, enriching our red blood cells with oxygen, and increasing blood flow to our vital organs.
- Cold showers are a unique way to boost your immunity. Due to the shock of the cold temperature to the body, there’s an increase in our immune response thus an increase in our white blood cells. My husband has been taking cold showers for over a year and I kid you not he hasn’t gotten sick once. He learned a technique from Wim Hof the Ice Man who shows the world how the cold, deep breathing, and a strong mindset allows us tap into our autonomic nervous system, endocrine system, and immune system.
- Probiotics are healthy bacteria that is needed for a healthy functioning digestive system. What does this have to do with our immune system? Well around 70% of our immune system is located in our gut, the probiotics populate healthy good bacteria and crowd out the bad. When there’s too much bad bacteria in our bodies is when we get sick. If you were to consume antibiotics when your sick this will kill all bacteria good and bad, hence Anti- meaning against, biotic- meaning living things/life, Probiotics- meaning in favor of life.
- Conclusion– Inputting good bacteria, and nutrients into our bodies, oxygenating our cells with deep breathing, getting enough sleep, taking cold showers and getting some sunshine is whats going to make us thrive and be the best that we can be.
Until next time,
I’m wishing all of you good health, happiness, and love.